.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Last Unicorn

I was super excited this weekend as I was finally able to talk with Joleen and my mom and dad on the phone. I downloaded Skype, so I can call people from my computer and it's only 2 cents (actually like 2.3 cents) per minute. And it sounds good, too.

On Saturday I went to Suwon with some people (Will [guy who lives near me], Colleen, Erin, and Danielle). We first went to Hwaseong Fortress. I guess it was built in the late 1700s. We walked along the whole fortress wall (I think it's about 5 km). It was interesting walking along an old stone fortress with the huge city of Suwon surrounding it as a backdrop.
There was a festival going on as well, so we walked through that. I got some cotton candy, so that made me happy. I also think it's funny that it looks like all of the temples are patroned by Nazis--they use the--I don't know what it's called, but it for good luck, or something--sign that the Nazi's warped on all the temples. It's mildly alarming, initially.

We then went to a baseball game. The Suwon baseball team is called the Hyundai Unicorns. How sweet is that?!? It was their last home game of the year and they were playing the LG Twins. :) The Unicorns lost despite all of our cheering. It was really fun. There was hardly anyone there, and it was pouring rain for much of the game. We were heckling the players, but because we don't know much Korean we were yelling the stupidest things. For example, the guy in the outfield near us was named Lee (big surprise, eh?). So we'd yell shit like, "Kimchi Lee!! Anyeonghaseyo!!", etc. Koreans around us were very amused. Because of our fervent cheering we got two balls thrown to us, so that was nice. I bought a Unicorns t-shirt, although I was very disappointed that they weren't selling any that had the mascot picture on it--a mean-looking unicorn swinging a bat. At one point during a rain delay we harassed a worker in the concourse to let us take pictures wearing the unicorn mascot heads. It was awesome.

We also spotted some little Korean kid wearing a University of Wisconsin shirt. We got all excited and tried telling him that that was where we went to school, but I think we just confused him. But I was wearing a Wisconsin shirt and we were pointing back and forth between his shirt and mine and I think his sister finally understood and explained it. Then their family gave us cookies. Score! You can see in the distance all the red glowing crosses that churches have in Korea. From the stadium I could count at least 10 glowing crosses in the nearby vacinity.

Today I went to some shops around Osan Air Force Base with Will and another guy named Wes. They wanted to look for sports jerseys. I just wanted to go to see where this was (Wes lives in Osan so he knew where to go). It's really easy to get to, so I'm happy about that. It's only a couple subway stops from Pyeongtaek and like a 5 minute walk from the station. I bought shoes. They were 40% off (blue Nikes)!! I want to go there again to do some clothes shopping. I don't have many shirts.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home