.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Friday, January 13, 2006

Winter Artwork
By Emily's 5th Grade Korean English Camp Students

First, and most boring, I present to you the Wall(s) of Snowflakes. I've included my hand in one of the pictures for scale's sake. I don't know where I'll stick the 6th grade students' snowflakes for my next 2 weeks of camp...bulletin board space is now used up.




Now I would like to show a slew of pictures drawn by the students which include some of their winter vocabulary words. I have commented when I deemed it appropriate. The first three contain examples of the Korean red sun. And I like the igloo, personally. And the bog house.


I also think it's funny (although to be expected, really) that all the kids in the pictures have black hair, with the exception of a few kids whose hair is dyed brown. The next ones I just think are really pretty good. And I would just like to add that all snowmen that have a 3 snowballed body and a top hat only do so because I pointed out the difference (of Korean to American snowmen) to the students. So I wasn't a liar when I wrote what I wrote before!

This next picture has a lot of things worth commenting on in it. First of all, notice the 2 churches? Yes, there are a lot of churches in Korea. And they all have those crosses on top. And they're glowing neon red at night. There are also a crapload of 'PC Bangs' here (bang is pronounced like bong, as in what you'd smoke...if you were one who was so inclined to do so). PC Bangs are just like internet cafes. But I think they're primarily used for gaming purposes, not email. Koreans love computer games. There was a story a bit ago about a Korean guy who died in a PC Bang after spending something like 3 days in one...he never slept and hardly ate. He died of a heart attack. He was pretty young. They're pretty cheap, too...like $1-$2 an hour or something. But I've never been to one. Anyway, none of them (that I've seen) are shaped like flying computers, but it's nice to see them represented nonetheless. Then there's the Korean girl wearing a skirt...which I see frequently. Koreans are very fashion oriented and I've seen more than a few Korean chicks wearing little mini skirts freezing their arses off this winter. And one of the snowmen is wearing a prime example of the aforementioned "pail hat" that I've noticed Korean snowmen wearing...in pictures, that is. And the snowmen have eyebrows, which is new to me. The one with the pail looks pissed. The picture on the right is just a few snowmen hopped up on drugs. They made me laugh.


2 Comments:

  • Oh my god!! Those are the coolest pictures ever...a couple comments. First, I noticed a couple of the snowflakes have the word "hibernate" written on them. Interesting choice of vocab words, Em. How did you explain that concept? Second, I absolutely love the picture of the snowball fight with the machine gun throw and the kid running away with Scooby-Doo wheel legs. If you can steal that picture, save it for me. Also, in the pic with the kids making snow angels, one of the kids looks like he's trying to squeeze one out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2006 3:49 PM  

  • Lots of the vocab words I got from a website that had lesson plan ideas. Hibernate was one of the words, so I just used it. I explained it by saying animal, sleep, winter, and long time. And showing a picture of a bear sleeping in a cave. They seemed to get it pretty easily.

    And I have all the pictures, so I can totally keep that one for you. When you come you can look through them all and steal any you want.

    In the snow angel picture, I think the kid on the right is making a snow angel, the kid in the middle has just fallen down (slippery) and hit his head (and has an ouch look that could be confused with a squeeze one out look), and the kid on the right is just standing there wearing mittens. But if you want to imagine that kid is pooping, go right ahead. It is a possibility since Koreans kids are honestly obsessed with poop. Although mostly the boys and that picture was drawn by a girl.

    By Blogger Emily, at 1/14/2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home