.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Update
Changes are already being made to the aforementioned changes

So I was whisked off at lunch today to go eat at a restaurant with a group of teachers...of whom I had no idea who they were (was that anywhere near grammatically correct??). Turns out they were the 6th grade teachers. It appears the 6th grade may be my base camp this term; last term it was the 5th grade. It's kind of bad because they're all new people that I have to get used to/know them, but they also seemed more apt to try to speak with me which will be good. And there's actually a guy teacher in the 6th grade. That'll be new.

So, I am NOT teaching 3-6th grade like I was initially told. Which, if I had thought about it more closely, would be obvious. If I taught all classes 3-6th grade that would have meant I'd be teaching 36 hours/week...which is impossible with how the schedule at the school is set up (although holy OT money!). Basically, I'm just not teaching 3rd grade...only 4-6. And I'll actually have 3 co-teachers. The 2 I mentioned before, and then one other one who will teach 2 of the 4th grade classes with me (I don't really know why). I'm not exactly sure who this will be, but I think it might be a 5th grade teacher who came late last term because she was on pregnancy leave. So I don't know her well, but I think she speaks English better than the other 2 teachers that I'll be teaching with (you met her and spoke to her a bit, Joleen). I don't know what her name is, though. I should find that out. It's making me a bit nervous that I have so many co-teachers. I don't know how lesson planning is going to work out...will I be in charge or the co-teacher?? Will it depend on the co-teacher? Arg.

Also, I guess I'm not moving rooms until another month or so. For whatever reason. I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to come in on a Saturday to move all my shit. That would suck. My contract says no Saturdays!!! I have a feeling I wouldn't get paid OT for that, either.

Also, we're getting a new vice-principal at our school. The old crotchity VP is leaving (which is good) but he's being replaced by a lady who used to be head of the English Education Dept in Pyeongtaek. Which seems like it'd be good, but I don't think it will be. 1) She'll take a much bigger interest in my teaching and may pop in to watch more of my classes (I hate that). 2) Word on the street is that she's a bitch and is really hard to get along with. Ya-hoo. Don't mess with the bull, lady...you'll get the horns! Yeah, that sure describes me. At least there will be someone in a relative position of power who I can hopefully communicate effectively with...bitch or no. I was having serious communication issues with Ms. Lee (new co-teacher) today. Actually, I should say Ms. Ee...I don't know why it gets changed to Lee in "English" because there is no L sound in that name. Ever. In South Korea, anyway. In North Korea there are a few actual Lees, I guess. I don't know about other Asian countries. And the name Park is really pronounced more like Bak. More of a 'b' sound and there is no 'r' in it at all. Haha, I just had a really funny thought as to why that name is spelled and pronounced Park in English: When Korean immigrants first came to the US they came in on the East coast. When they said their name "Bak" it just sounded like how Bostonians (Bostonites?) say "Park." And the rest is history. Right. Ok, so that wasn't really funny, but I thought it was mildly humorous.

I don't feel that bad about not knowing any of the teachers' names because I guess none of them call each other by their actual names. Ms. Lee (old co-teacher) didn't even know half their names. I guess they just call each other "5-1 teacher" or "5-7 teacher," etc. But in Korean, obviously. So it'd be "something-something seonsaengnim." Or my method, which is either not talking to them or just looking at the person and then start to talk. It seems to work fine. Most of the time.

I'm wondering how many more changes I'll find out about. I just never be told, "Hey, guess what?!? You're teaching 2 hours of teacher classes a week!!!" NOOOOO!!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • so how the hell do they say christopherson?!

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 2/27/2006 2:45 PM  

  • haha...they don't. :D

    but when they TRY it sounds like this:

    kuh-ree-suh-tah-puh-son

    and the 'ree' part is actually a mix between 'ree' and 'lee'..those sounds for them are the same. i can't do it right.

    and my first name is "Ae-Meel-lee!!" always yelled with enthusiasm (with the kids, anyway).

    By Blogger Emily, at 2/27/2006 3:12 PM  

  • Hey Em! I got your letter today. Thanks! You're right, it is exciting to get mail... :)

    I totally understand about crying when Joleen went home. Man, I go through that over and over saying goodbye to Jake so many times. Maybe having time away from people you love is good in a way though...I think maybe it makes you realize how much you really do love them and enjoy their company. Hopefully we can both look back on these times as times where we grew a lot...and not just as times that sucked ;)

    By Blogger Candy, at 3/02/2006 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home