.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Eureka! The Mother Lode!
candy, candy, candy, candy, candy, candy, candy, candy...

Ok, let's see if I can update this thing successfully. Well, the Disease Party was fun. It really didn't have anything to do with diseases, though. Everyone wore a nametage with their disease. Jaundice rules! There was also an Asian Bird Flu, which I thought was funny. There was also a 'game' where you had to guess the number of pills Will ahs swallowed in the last 3 years (vitamins wre included). I was way off with my guess of about 5,500. The right number was a bit above 10,000. Wow. That's just over 9 pills a day.

I got really confused getting to his apt, however. I had been there before, so I wasn't too worried about it. I took the bus to the stop closest to his building. It kind of sucks that to catch the bus I have to walk 15-20 minutes to the stop. Anyway, I found his apt building and went up to his floor and his apt (he has the same apt number as I do, so wasy to remember). The party was supposed to officially 'start' at 8, and it was only 7:50 at that time. So I knock. Nothing. I knock again. Nothing. Pretty soon I swear to God I hear Korean women talking in his apartment. I knock one more time and I only hear Korean women, but no one comes to the door. So I am super confused. I don't have a cell phone nor Will's number, so I can't even use a payphone to call him to see what's up. I thought I must have the wrong apt, but I swore it was right. I had no idea what to do, so I ended up catching a taxi and taking it back to my apt. I could have taken the bus again, but I was already annoyed and that would've taken longer. Plus, I didn't feel like walking from the bus stop to my house that extra 20 minutes. Anyway, the cab ride only ended up costing me about $2.50, so definitely worth it. I get back in my apt and call Will. "Hey, were you in your apt at 7:50?" "Ummm, no." "Oh. I went and knocked, but I only heard Korean ladies. Did you leave your light on [another reason I though I had the wrong apt was because the light was on]?" "Yeah, sorry. I was at a restaurant with Jaclyn and Elissa. Are you near my apt right now?" "Umm, no, I'm back at mine." Etc. I felt like a dumbass. Anyway, I took a cab back over there and all was well. But I was seriously confused for a while. Note to self: try to tone down the nerdiness and not arrive early to parties.

This week at school has been nice so far because I only have 4 classes on Monday (plus a teacher class). Then today I didn't have any classes because they whole school was testing or something. And tomorrow morning I will only have 2 instead of 4 because the 5th graders need to do gym tests. But I'll have them again in the afternoon. :( Then Thursday is only 4 classes again (plus a teacher class). But Friday sucks because I have 6 classes. Oh well.

Fyi, Halloween is not celebrated in Korea. And kids here don't believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. But a girl in our group is having a Halloween party on Saturday night. And she lives not far from here, so it's nice that I don't have to travel 8,000 years since I usually have to because I'm way down south in the province. She lives in Osan, which is 3 subway stops from Pyeongtaek. She has a big apt. And she has 2 beds because she told her school she had a boyfriend. I just thought that was funny. She's good friends with Jaclyn and this is her 2nd year here. She's very nice. She was also good friends with Liz Kas. Anyway, we're encouraged to dress up, but I have no idea what I would dress up as since I have no costume and nowhere sells them. Maybe I'll just be jaundice again.

I guess there's also a big Halloween celebration in Seoul (in Itaewan, the American part) on Friday night. But I don't like Seoul, so I'm not going. Actually, I have nothing against Seoul, I just don't like going out until all hours of the night to 8,000,0000 clubs which is the only thing people apparently do there after 8. I'd rather stay home and watch Survivor. And then The Apprentice (The Donald, not Martha).

Anyway, today was another very exciting Christmas-like day as I got a package from Joleen!!! It was friggin' huge, and again, cost a small fortune to send (she beat you out, mom...by a decent amount!). The office lady calls my room and says to me, "Mommy package. Here down." So I go down there and tell her that's it's from my SISTER. Get it right, woman! ;) This time she didn't go through the customs slip list with me. But she did read it as evidenced later. As I was leaving, this guy in the office asked her what was in the box and she says, "Candy." [which was ONE of the things listed] So this guy thinks that this gigantic box I'm carrying is full of nothing but candy! Haha. He's probably thinking, "No wonder Americans are so fat." On a related not, my co-teacher was reading this article thing to me today about a 5 year old American girl who weighs like 250 pounds. That's possible??? Anyway, after opening and unloading the package I felt like being Scrooge McDuck and swimming through it all. But I didn't. Inventory: Home-made beef jerky. Shit-load of candy, including coffee KitKats and Reeses Big Cup. And awesome truffles. A block of cheddar cheese. A roll of summer sausage. Microwavable desserts. Pancake mix and chocolate chips. VHS tapes with recorded episodes of Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy. And much, much more. I am smiling at the thought. Ahhh...

Ok, I'm now going to end this entry and start another one on more funny commercials. Because I like to break things up that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home