.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Saturday, January 14, 2006

You Say 'Tomato', I Say 'Persimmon'

I'd just like to give an official public shout-out to both Candy and Liz. I got both your packages!! Thanks!! It's always very exciting getting packages...and enjoying the bounty hidden within. Yukon Cornelius! [Or is is UConn Cornelius? Haha!] And I love my chocolately foods...scrumpdilliumptious! Liz, I loved that you put "Toys" on the custom slip. My co-teacher said to me, "Dolls?" Haha! I was like, "I don't know. Probably not, but maybe!"

I don't think my heater is working right now. My feet are cold. Fyi, apartments in Korea are heated via the floor. Well, I just checked my boiler and it's on. Curious.

Previously, the only ramen (ramyen here) flavors I could find were 'spicy' and 'seafood.' The other day I found a new brand with a new flavor: 'hot.' :D :D Glad I like spicy food! I actually tolerate spicy food better than most Koreans, I think. I was eating some kimchi my co-teacher brought in to school and she kept eating it and freaking out over it's spiciness (and repeatedly saying how her mother-in-law made it). I ate some and yes, it was spicy, but not as spicy as many other things I like to eat.

I was in the produce section a week or two ago and was looking for tomatoes. I found what I thought were tomatoes and was appalled at the quality. They were practically yellow and were really hard. I didn't buy any. Later, I was wandering the produce section of a different place with my co-teacher (she had a penchant for fruit the other day while at school...and since we do nothing for 5 hours after noon we headed out to buy some). So it turns out that what I thought were tomatoes were not, in fact, tomatoes. They were persimmons. Haha, oops. I don't think I've ever seen a persimmon before. But now I've eaten quite a few of them and they're not bad. Although the ones I've eaten haven't been the ripest. Tomato in Korean is 'tomahto.' Persimmon is 'kam.' Fyi, the tomato is on the left and the persimmon is on the right.

2 Comments:

  • Sunny's parents LOVE persimmons.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2006 12:47 PM  

  • glad you got it, although it was prob. pretty boring after all the hype. after all you have talked about the korean grasp of english, i think maybe they constructed the yukon cornelius package.

    i would have thought that persimmon was a spice, like cinnamon. never would have guessed it was tomato-like.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 1/15/2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home