.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!


Yo. I have pictures. Huzzah! Anyway, here are a couple from the disease party a couple weeks ago. One is of me and Colleen. Contrary to appearances, Colleen was neither drinking nor doing drugs. But it's the only picture I have of me from that night, so I'm putting on here. Plus, you can see my Jaundice name tag. The other picture is Jaclyn and Will. They are making a heart with their hands, which is a popualr thing to do here in Korea. I guess it kind of means, "I love you." Or something.


So I did celebrate Halloween. I went and met up with a few people in Osan prior to the party (Jaclyn, Andy, Elissa, Meghan, and later Will). We bought a couple pumpkins and carved Jack-o-lanterns. Pumpkins here aren't as orange as in the US. They're a dull orange-y color...pasty, if you will. I didn't have a costume because...well, I didn't have one. I guess I didn't care enough to spend more than 10 minutes attempting to be creative enough to fashion a costume. But that thing on my face is a temporary tattoo of a pumpkin and a witch, or something. But I did help decorate her apartment for the party, so I thought that made up for it. She had orange and black balloons and I took to the orange ones with a black Sharpie to make them look like Jack-o-lanterns. Kick-ass ones, at that. And I made a sign for her door which was universally admired. I got a group pic of all at the party who were dressed up. I ended up taking a taxi home that night at about 2am...I went with Jaclyn, Andy (her bf, the guy in the pumpkin carving picture), and another guy (B.T., the guy in front wearing bling). so it was just over $5 each...about a half an hour drive or so (with no traffic)? So it was nice to wake up in my own apt instead of waking up on the floor of someone else's apt and then having to take the subway and bus home.


On my way to catch the bus to go to the party, I had to walk by Pyeongtaek City Hall and go through some sort of demonstration that was taking place, complete with police. I don't know what it was against, but Jaclyn (who heard parts of it waiting for the bus) thought she heard the word "miguk" which means "America." So maybe it was an anti-American demonstration. But no one yelled at me or anything when I walked through it, so if it was they were pretty benign about it. I guess (according to my parents) there was a pretty big anti-American protest a few days earlier in Pusan/Busan. Which is on the SE coast of South Korea, so pretty far from where I am. Who knows?

1 Comments:

  • Hey, looks like you had a pretty fun Halloween. I'm jealous...all I did was eat a lot of candy on my own, which is pretty pathetic. I didn't even dress up this year. Sad. :(

    By Blogger Candy, at 11/03/2005 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home