.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I Like Spring!
"It is nice and warm."

I should be in bed right now, but I apparently like to be tired at school (on the plus side, I don't have to teach tomorrow). I thought I'd enlighten you all a bit on the visual feasts my students get each day in their English class.

Each grade has a book. Each book is divided into chapters (obviously). Each chapter is a different topic with different target sentences/vocabulary for the students to learn. Note: The students pretty much just memorize words and phrases...actual thinking is limited. So, each book also comes with a cd-rom to be played and utilized in each class. There are various parts to each chapter. You start out with them watching a dialogue (usually it's a cartoon dialogue). You then ask them questions about it, have them repeat it, etc. Then there's a few mini-dialogues that are live-action; aka real people, not cartoons. You ask questions and have them repeat. Then you've usually got a "Let's Read!" section. This is just the vocab words for the chapter with corresponding pictures that you have the students practice reading/saying. There's also a tiny "Let's Write!" section. And a few "games." My favorite is the song...each chapter has a song that goes with the theme. The best part is watching the stupid animated people sing and dance to the song. I always mimic them and dance the samw way in front of the class, which usually provokes much laughter. Maybe I shouldn't be making fun of the program, but it's pretty funny. The 4th graders also have a chant in each chapter, which is pretty much just another song. The 4th graders actually really get into the song. The 6th graders? Not so much. Then sometimes there's a role play...which is like another cartoon dialogue, only the kids then are supposed to act it out. Which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Anyway, here are a few pictures, and even a video (without sound, sorry, but I don't have that capability).

A still image from one of the intro dialogues (from the chapter entitled, "Is This York Street?"). I love how they had the guy asking Michael Jackson where York Street was:


Another still image--Do you see the error in this picture??
Here's a still image from the song for this chapter. One line of lyrics is on the bottom for you. It's sung to the tune of 'Puff the Magic Dragon,' for the most part. Although it alters a little bit on the "Turn left at the corner!" Here are the complete lyrics so you can sing, too:

"Oh please, excuse me Sir, is this York Street? Sorry, sorry, I don't know. Sorry, I don't know. Oh please, excuse me ma'am, where is York Street? Go straight and turn left. Turn left at the corner!"
Here are a few "live-action" dialogue shots. On the top is Kevin and Ann. On the bottom is Joon and Jinho. Each character has a cartoon counter-point as well. Don't you love how utterly dorky looking Joon is? And I think Kevin totally has the hots for Ann. Also, it's the same actors for each year, but they randomly change names year-to-year. For example, the Ann character was named Julie in 4th grade. For 5th and 6th grade she's Ann. In 5th grade, Kevin was named Bill. This is confusing for not only me, but for the kids as well. I don't get why they did that.


Below is a video clip of the song for "Is This York Street?" True, it would be much better with sound, but sorry. I still think it's funny to see how it looks.

3 Comments:

  • Well it could be restorant, but also York street - street in that case shold be capitalized. Apple Street is all in caps so they aren't very consistant either!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2006 11:12 AM  

  • I SHOULD talk...did you catch my error?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/13/2006 11:13 AM  

  • Wow, the portrayal of the black kid is terrible!!! Korean kids are going to think all black people have giant donuts for mouths.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 4/13/2006 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home