.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Burn Baby, Burn!!!
Old Glory

I just read that the senate rejected an amendment to ban US flag desecration. By one vote. Whew, close one. You know, I would be really peeved if an amendment were to be passed banning flag burning, etc. I mean, I'm all about the 1st Amendment and everything, but even that's not really why I'm against an amendment banning flag "desecration." I basically think, "Who gives a shit?" Really...if someone sets Old Glory ablaze, what's the big deal? I'd rather have someone burn the flag than blow up a building. But maybe that's just me. Really, burning the Star-Spangled Banner would not bother me in the least. If I saw someone burning the Stars and Stripes I would just think, "Huh...I guess they aren't a big fan of the US." The exact same reaction I'd have if I heard someone yeling, "I hate the US! The US does crappy things!" And when our government makes that illegal, then you know we're heading for trouble. I mean, really...flag burning hurts no one. Unless you burn it while it's tied to someone else, or something. Then again, we all know I'm not exactly the epitome of a Patriotic American. That said, I really can't wait to get back home to the US because although there are a lot of things about the US I don't particularly like, I really do like living there. I'll just probably never buy and fly Old Glory. Then again, I seriously doubt I'd ever burn it, either.

So there's this big ol' mud festival in SoKo in Boryeong called (coincidentally) the Boryeong Mud Festival. This area claims to have great mud with all kinds of health benefits. So the festival is supposed to be a marketing type thing for this mud (you can buy all kinds of beauty and health products, I guess), but really it's just a big ol' mud party. According to the website,

"There are many events such as mud wrestling, mud king contest, mud fireworks fantasy and mud sliding. There will also be a photo competition in which past members have come in first place. This is a high profile event. There is a gorgeous beach there as well, which will come in handy as you won’t have any chance but to get dirty. You will be put into a prison until you get some mud on your body."

Anyway, I'm going there with Elissa, her mom, and Meghan (another UW girl teaching here) on July 16-17th. Should be a fun time.

There's also this big concert in Seoul on July 28-30 called Pentaport Rock Festival. It reminded me of you, Liz, because I thought you liked some of the bands that will be there. But maybe I'm wrong. Bands I've heard of that will be there: The Strokes, Snow Patrol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Black Eyed Peas, Franz Ferdinand, and Jason Mraz. I had to laugh because Jason Mraz got delegated to the lesser stage with the Korean bands. Haha. I might go on the first day, but I'm not sure. Tickets are a bit pricey and I'm not a big fan of any of them (I just don't know them well). But I'm still planning my possibly Japan trip so that may influence whether or not I go.

I have to go soon to meet up with the Pyeongtaek gang and have dinner (home-made burgers...mmm). Hey, at least this post wasn't shrouded in negativity. It's getting really hot and humid here now. July is monsoon season. Apparently August and September are the hot months. It's pretty hot now, I'd say. I think it was around 90 degrees with high humidity today. I wish my room had air conditioning. I wish my apt had air conditioning.

3 Comments:

  • The flag thing was hysterical and i like how you kept using different words for the flag. It sounded like it was written for SNL or Kids in the Hall or something.

    Yeah, I feel like i have heard of that festival. I'm pretty sure CP have played a festival in Korea, but maybe it was some other South Asian place. Now I need to find out.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 6/29/2006 7:49 AM  

  • oh, it was the "summer sonic festival" in japan that i was thinking of.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 6/29/2006 7:51 AM  

  • Dammit. I was just on Jake's blog where he mentioned the flag burning and I commented that it was a non-issue for me too but I couldn't come up with a viable argument...and here you are to show me up with your clever quip. Damn you, Emily in Korea. DAMN YOU TO HELL!

    (Just kidding. *nervously looking over shoulder*)

    By Blogger L. Sanchez, at 7/02/2006 4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home