.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Beware the Ides of March!
Listen to the seer, O Caesar!

Ok, here are a few Korean news items I felt like putting up here for those interested:

Korea gets rare yellow snowfall
I haven't noticed any yellow dust myself, but maybe I'm just not paying attention. It definitely did snow (quite a bit) a few days ago (the snowfall to which this article must refer) in Pyeongtaek, but I'm pretty sure it's just white. Maybe Pyeongtaek is spared the worst of the yellow sand...although it is very much on the west coast...who knows? Because of this yellow dust there's an influx of Koreans walking around with cloth "surgical" masks. Throughout the winter I saw tons of Koreans wearing them and I never did figure out why: Is it to protect them from acquiring viruses? If so, that annoys me because like cloth masks will protect you from viruses. Is it to fend off the cold? Maybe, but again, that's kind of stupid. I have a hunch it's a mix of both. Wearing them for the yellow dust is a reason I can stomach, although like I said, I haven't noticed any yellow dust. Whatever.

SoKo PM quits amid golf scandal
The South Korean Prime Minister resigned yesterday because of a huge uproar over him playing golf. Although it was a national holiday, he should have been in the office because that day the subway employees went on a big strike. And golf is considered to be for the super rich and corrupt. Golf is really popular here, but it's uber expensive because there's a crap load of people and hardly any space for golf courses.

Dog poop girl
I guess there's a huge problem with cyberviolence in Korea (although I have to say, looking at the examples given in this article it sounds like Koreans are just being a bit too sensitive). Did you know that SoKo is the world's most wired nation? Well, it is. Most households have broadband connections. I guess some people think that the internet technology age boomed too fast here and people's "maturity" levels about it have not yet caught up. Or something.

The biggest thing in the news right now is that a Korean journalist was captured and is being held hostage by Palestinians on the Gaza Strip. I didn't include a link to any article because there's not much more to say about it. Another day, another Middle East hostage.

It's all the rage right now for Korean men to look very feminine and pretty. Here are a few pics of famous Korean men:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home