.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ooh, Ooh, That Smell! Can't You Smell That Smell??
The Smell Of Death Surrounds You!

Something smells really bad in my apartment and I can't figure out what it is. I hate that.

I am currently obsessed with crossword and sudoku puzzles. I used to hate crosswords because they made me feel like an idiot. However, since Joleen visited me, brought a book of crosswords, and taught me various crossword 'tricks,' I've really begun to enjoy them. Also, I was shown the world of sudoku by Sarah. I am slowly getting better at it. I have to print them off at school, however, because I find it impossible to do them on the computer. I'm also almost done with the crossword book, Joleen. :(

When a Korean asks if they can make a copy of something, they really mean, "Can I take and keep this?"

When a Korean asks, "Do you like kimchi?," they don't want to hear, "No."

I think one of my favorite songs to sing along with would be Stay by Lisa Loeb. Although Alanis Morisette's You Outta Know is also a good one. I have to say, I did a pretty rockin' rendition of Guns N Roses' Welcome to the Jungle while norae-banging. Ask Joleen. She can vouch for me. Right, Jo? I also really enjoyed doing Blondie's Heart of Glass. Songs I found out that I definitely cannot sing: Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway and Destiny's Child's Say My Name.


Ok, things that are annoying me about my school situation:

1) Because my principal is a tool, I will not be getting a new/bigger classroom. Fine, I can live with that. No big deal.

2) Again, I am teaching 26 hours a week. This is the same as last year, but more nerve-wracking because

3) I have 4 new co-teachers. Count 'em--four. Two of them I have for most of my classes (9 classes with one and 14 with another). But then I have one class with another teacher and 2 classes with another. I don't even know who one of these teachers is as I haven't had that class yet. The thing with this is that with these teachers it pretty much means that I'm teaching the class myself as they aren't English teachers and don't know about any of the lessons. And it would just take time out of my day to have to hunt them down each week and describe everything that should happen. Basically, I guess they'll be there as a translator. Bah. At least it's 4th grade classes...4th graders are cute because they're little enough to be excited about things. Although they're constantly yelling, "Game! Game!"

4) Even though I made it abundantly clear that I don't want to do it, I will be teaching a teacher class this year. Honestly, this was the bane of my existence the last 6 months. I HATE it. I forced them to only make me do it once a week instead of twice. I don't know when it's going to start, how long it will be, or what day it will be on, though. I specifically said I didn't want it on Monday (since I procrastinate that would mean I'd be planning it on Sunday night which I would hate). I have a feeling it will be on Monday because "It's better for the other teachers." Well thanks for taking into consideration what's best for me. This is what pisses me off the most; any time a Korean teacher doesn't like something, there's a big hullabaloo to remedy the situation so they get what they want, but no one seems to give a shit about my concerns. They act like they do, but when it comes to action no one does anything. Ex: Korean teachers freak out if their teaching hours exceed 22/week, but hey, we can pile 27+ on the foreign teacher! Ugh. If they seem surprised when I tell them I'm not staying another year I'll laugh in their face. Oh yeah, and here's

5) As if having 4 co-teachers isn't enough, I was just informed that Ms. Kwan (who teaches 9 classes with me) will be leaving the school in May and I'll get a new co-teacher for the next 3 months.

Exeunt rant.

3 Comments:

  • it was welcome to the jungle by the way

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/09/2006 11:39 AM  

  • that sucks about the teacher classes. i hear ya, man, there's nothing worse than being at the "bottom of the totem pole," if you will. my manager actually told me that once. "well, you're at the bottom of the totem pole, so i didn't ask if you wanted the day after thanksgiving off." thanks....

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 3/09/2006 1:41 PM  

  • hey axl, u have a recording of that for posterity

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/10/2006 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home