.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Friday, April 14, 2006

Mission: Space
The best ride I've ever been on

I just saw that a woman died after riding Disney World's Mission: Space. (read article here)

I guess it's had another death as well...a 4 year old boy or something. But this ride is honestly the best ride I've ever been on. It was seriously awesome. Here's a link to a site where you can read a little about it. But in a nutshell: It mimics a space flight. 4 people go into one "shuttle." Each person has a role (captain, navigator, etc). Each person has to do their job (which means pushing a button in front of you when it flashes). So you blast off, float around in space, then land on some planet. The ride works by spinning around really fast (centrifugal force? Centripetal force? I think centrifugal). It seriously feels like you are on a space shuttle and blasting off, then you truly feel weightless. There are loads of signs while you wait in line (which is a long line) that have oodles of warnings about motion sickness, etc. On the ride there are vomit bags (why can't I think of the word for those things right now?) for people to use if they get sick (which is not infrequent, so I hear).

So if anyone ever goes to Epcot and the ride is not closed due to deaths, you so have to go on it. But be careful, I guess. Brighton went on it once and couldn't go on it again because it made her feel absolutely horrible afterwards. I guess she got motion sickness or something. She had a horrible headache, etc. I loved it and it didn't bother me at all. I went on it a few times alone (well, I was with 3 other people I didn't know on the ride). As for you having to push your button in order for your mission to be completed, that's all crap. Once I was riding with a family from Germany or something. The dad obviously didn't know English, and when his button flashed and the computer said, "Engineer, put down landing gear!" (or whatever), he just sat there and didn't do anything. It ended up doing it by itself. That was funny. I also ended up riding with 3 13 year olds and it was HILARIOUS. They were taking their roles super seriously. "Ok," they told me, "You're the navigator. You need to blah blah blah. We've been on this before so we know what to do!" I'd also been on it, but I indulged them and tried to look all impressed. It was like I was at space camp with them or something.

Yeah, so I just felt like talking about that. So I did. And I don't teach today because of a field trip so I'm bored. And I got a new computer in my classroom so I'm having fun with it. Now we have 2 computers so we don't have to share. Nice. I get the new one. :) It has 140 GB of hard drive space. What the hell a classroom computer needs that much space for, I don't know. I wish my computer at home had that much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home