.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

the YANGPA
the ONION

So I just found out today that Korea has its own version of the ONION. It's run/written by foreigners, not Koreans. And it's probably only online. It's called the YANGPA. Yangpa is 'onion' in Korean. I perused it tonight and it's pretty funny...but it's probably much funnier because I live here and can relate to the things more. Anyway, here's a link to it for your own reading pleasure...or for a taste of some international ONION, anyway. My personal faves that are up right now: The panty-liner spokesmodel one (you should seriously see the commercial that guy is in right now) and the Korean gaydar one. But the picture and caption of the giant soju bottle was pretty funny, as well.

I almost flew out of a bus windshield tonight. I got on the bus and there were no seats so I was standing up. I had just gotten on so I was putting my bus card back in my wallet...therefore, I was not holding on to anything at the moment to stabilize myself. The bus driver then decided to slam on the brakes. I flew towards the front of the bus (well, I was standing near the front of the bus in the first place) and would probably have kept going if Will hadn't been standing in the way. He managed to stop my forward trajectory. I owe him my life. Seriously, standing on Korean buses is a dangerous adventure. They drive like friggin' maniacs.

I'm reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time right now. So far I'm getting most of it, but there are definitely a few things that I just cannot get my mind to comprehend. I blame it on Hawking not describing things good enough. Not my feeble-mindedness. While reading, I frequently get blown away by 1) how smart some people are, and 2) how huge the universe is. Also, seriously, how weird is the whole space-time continuum? And isn't continuum a cool looking word? It reminds me of vacuum. You know, with the double us and all. Haha...double us...ws...ok, enough. I also keep thinking that i'm reading a book published in 1988...how much of this stuff has changed in the last 18 years? A lot, I'm sure. And how about quantum mechanics? Weird. Reading stuff like this makes me realize how dumb I am.

4 Comments:

  • I enjoyed the panty liner report very much. It wasn't until I fully understood things that I realized the pictured person was a man. Am I right? He is one girly looking guy.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 6/29/2006 12:27 AM  

  • Did you hear that Stephen Hawking recently said something about how humans are going to go extinct if we don't start inhabiting places in outer space?

    By Blogger Candy, at 6/29/2006 7:22 AM  

  • I had the same issue with the pantyliner thing (thinking it was a girl). I thought the idea of "a Korean remake of Juwanna Man set during the Joseon dynasty" was so hysterical it became not funny again. I enjoyed that article wholeheartedly.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 6/29/2006 7:56 AM  

  • I bet I could beat Stephen Hawkings at thumb wrestling.

    That's it.

    By Blogger L. Sanchez, at 7/01/2006 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home