.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Korea!

Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
This is my 4-leaf clover...


Top o' the mornin' to ya! Even though it's night for me right now... In honor of St. Patty's Day I wore my green pants to school today. I would say that Korea doesn't celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but then I found this picture online. So I guess at least some of them do. Hey, Mom, do we have any Irish in us? I don't remember. Probably, eh? I don't really have anything to say regarding today. Last year's St. Patrick's Day was so much better as I was in Chicago with my dad at the Big Ten Tournament. And I got to see the Chicago river dyed green. Awesome. Speaking of last year's BTT, just today I watched a clip of our game that year vs Iowa where Alando made that amazing last second game-winning 3-pointer. That was awesome. I'm glad I was able to experience it in person.

But while we're on the topic of holidays...
So February 14th is Valentine's Day. In Korea on Valentine's Day women give stuff to men. Then they just had a holiday called White Day (March 14). It's tradition on White Day for men to give stuff to women. I got some candy from some kiddies...although mostly from girls. Apparently White Day was made up by some Japanese company. Then, on April 14 Korea celebrates Black Day. Black Day is for people who are single. On Black Day single folk eat jajang noodles because they are black. But wait! We're not finished yet! Every month on the 14th there's some holiday for "lovers." May 14: Rose Day-self explanatory. It's also Yellow Day, which I don't totally get. But people eat yellow curry. For some reason. June 14: Kiss Day- self-explanatory. July 14: Silver Day- an exchange of silver rings. August 14: Music Day- give each other love song cds. September 14: Photo Day- that could get interesting. It's also the day when people around the world come together to celebrate my birthday. :) October 14: Wine Day. November 14: Movie Day/Hug Day. December 14: Money Day- spend money on your loved ones. January 14: Diary Day- give your lover a diary and flowers. And let's not forget the infamous Pepero Day on Nov. 11.

So holy Christ. Talk about corporations getting ahold of Korea! I think the only ones widely celebrated are Valentine's Day, White Day, and Black Day. And Pepero Day. But still. Crikey.

1 Comments:

  • Wow, you've been busy blogging!

    Sorry about the Badger game.

    Yes, you have some Irish heritage.

    Your dad's grandmother's father, William Pyburn, came from Ireland - County Cork.

    I also have a great great (how many greats I'm not going to figure out now) grandfather, William Badger, that came from Ireland.

    Possibly some others if I can actually find proof they fit in with our family...the line that came from Brian Boru - Born in 940 AD, Brian Boru was one of Ireland's greatest leaders who is credited with directing Ireland's future - for both good and bad. Boru was granted the title "Ard Ri", meaning "High King". This made him one of the first - and last - kings to effectively unite Ireland under one monarch.
    http://www.irishclans.com/articles/famirish/borub.html

    google Brian Boru for tons of hits this was just the first that appeared on my search.

    So hope you celebrated!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/18/2006 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home